Skip to content | Tuesday, 25-Jan-2022 | Text Only View | Site Map | Text size: A A A

Cumbria Choice

Who Can Use the Service

Anyone who has been accepted onto the Cumbria Choice housing register is able to use this service.  To apply to join the housing register you must be over 16 years of age.

You will need to complete an application form, which can be completed online or obtained from the offices of any partner landlord.  Once accepted onto the Register you can 'Bid' for properties advertised on the website or in news sheets available at the offices of all the housing providers and Local Authorities.

For contact details for the partner landlords and Local Authorities click on Partner Landlords 
Before you can be considered for a property you will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passports, birth certificates)
  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill)
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen
    (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)
  • A reference from a current/previous landlord OR
  • A character reference 

Cumbria Choice operates one Allocations Policy.  This means that all the partner landlords will assess peoples' priority for housing using the same policy. 

Click Prioritising Applications for more details on our banding scheme.

Who Cannot Use the Service?

You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.

There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register.  These are:

  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For more detailed information contact one of the partner landlords or Local Authorities.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy
Click here to download the browsealoud software